The New Studio

My new studio is in a barn in my backyard, it's great! You go in the door towards the back and take the  steps up.
You can, just barely, see an open door here.  Bikes to the left and wood and siding to the right, it's looks a bit junk, but hey, it's a barn.
Here's the steps leading to the studio above.  I've got a motion sensor light to the right so when you open the door, it comes on.  To the left, you see my pachinko machine. It's fully functional. 

I wish I could get a better pic of it, but it's hanging on the wall as you go up the steps, so I can't step back to far.  I've had it for a long time.  I'm thinking about moving it to the front entryway of the house, it's a nice looking mass produced, object 'd arte, so to speak.

This is what you see when you enter the space. 'Kinda filled with stuff and wires and cables hanging and various parts hanging everywhere.  It's a functional work space and I keep it reasonably clean, but it's a place intended for work. 

The stuff above is a couple of transistor amps setting on top of some wood crates and plywood I screwed together, with wheels on the bottom.  It makes a nice table/storage unit. I don't play electric all that much, but it's nice to have it all in one spot and easy to use when I want to play electric.  

This is another shot of the music corner. To the right of the screwed together wood crates I made a rolling plywood shelf/table to hold my banjo, guitars, and various parts. 

This is what it looked like before I loaded it up with stuff. This is my kind of cabinet making, crude, effective, inexpensive, and quick to build. When I was putting this space together, I put a lot of stuff on wheels. I like being able to move stuff around. 

I found some old pop crates for drawers, which look great. the shelves I positioned to hold the various instruments. 

So you go to the right and you can see my small heater running.  I insulated the place pretty well, so I only run the small gas heater when I'm out there to take the chill off, then turn it off.  The A/C is covered right now, 'cause it's winter.  Next year I'm putting a mini-split in it's place.  Which is right below!

UPDATE 8.13.19

Here's a shot of the north wall, with the old window a/c removed, and a window put in it's place. I also put a mini split in. Figured I've done them for other people, I should do one for me!  The whole place looks a lot better now.


The guitar is hanging up and it's a guitar from a friend, Greg Averill, who died quite a while ago now.  One of my best friends, I still miss him.  I set the guitar up for a high action and keep it tuned to an open D, so it's my slide guitar now. The bench to the right is for general construction.  The walls are metal siding as is the ceiling. They come painted, are reasonably priced, fireproof, and look ok. 


Here is a view looking back at the soldering bench.  The vise is on the corner and rolling mill is right there too.  The rolling mill probably needs another spot, but I don't use it all that much, so it's there for 
now. 

This is a shot of the soldering bench to the left and the construction bench to the right.  I built them both from mostly scrap wood and I built nice wide drawers so it's easy to find and put away stuff. It's pretty tight by design,  I can swivel and scoot from one side to the other easily.  I like having a separate bench for soldering, 'cause it keeps stuff cleaner.   


And if you follow around to the right  it leads to a small corner where the soldering bench is. I'm going to put an exhaust on the wall this summer, so the fumes can leave a bit more easily.  My studio up north had a range hood over the whole bench, I'm going to try something different with this one. I'm going to metal tube I can direct towards the fumes, smoke, and such. 


This is another bench for construction, right behind the soldering bench.  It's got all the pliers, files, saws. hammers, etc. 


To the right of the bench is a heavy cabinet with lots of drawers I got from Joan Perch, who ran a gallery I sold work to back in the 90's. I put wheels on it and it's loaded up with all the stuff necessary to make jewelry. 

This makes the circle, 360 view complete. To the very right is the music stuff and the drawing table is in the back corner.  I enjoy and appreciate having a space to work in. Right in the middle is a reasonably comfortable chair to read in, which is also something I enjoy doing up there.  Right now(12.15.18)I'm reading a Ben Bova story about living on Mars. Hard to see in this picture, but I've got a great stereo up there too, four speakers, nice Yamaha amp/tuner, with lots of inputs(under $100.00!)and a cd player, so tunes are great up there!  Got a hot pot and a cone filter for coffee too, so it's a pretty comfy place.  Whenever I'm out here I feel very lucky and happy to have such a nice place to putz around in. 












No comments:

Post a Comment